Monday, October 12, 2009

Another Deep Run

I ended up playing in a big $2 tournament last night that had 631 entrants.  I had no intention of playing but my fellow blogger pokerpace was playing so I figured I would jump in it.  I flopped a straight in two different hands early on in the tournament and built up a nice stack pretty quickly.  With plenty of chips I cruised deep in the tournament with the luxury of being able to wait for premium hands to play with. 

I still had an average stack when we got down to 3 tables.  Now this is where I always seem to have trouble advancing further.  The blinds are starting to get really big and i'm not picking up any playable hands.  I have about 30k in chips and the blinds are 1k/2k.  I don't like trying to pick up the blinds by raising with nothing.  At this point I would have to put in about 20% of my stack for a decent size raise.  If somebody comes over the top of me and moves all in I have to fold.  Even worse if somebody just calls it is pretty much mandatory that I have to put out a continuation bet and try and pick up the pot whether I hit my hand on the flop or not.  With the pot now at around 15k i would need to bet at the very minimum 5k to try and get somebody to lay down their hand.  Now I have bluffed off 1/3 of my chips in one hand.  Or do I surrender the hand right when somebody calls and let them take control of the hand and just check and fold if they bet?  I definitely need some help in this area of my game. 

After a couple of unsuccessful attempts at picking up some blinds my stack dwindled down to 17k with the blinds at 1k/2k.  I picked up AJh in early position and I pushed all in hoping to pick up the blinds or maybe getting really lucky and doubling up.  Unfortunately for me and all my big poker dreams I got called by KK and was knocked out in 26th place and was awarded $5.36 for my troubles.  I really enjoy playing the big tournaments but it doesn't seem to be very profitable for me.  I don't know if it is just a numbers game and if I keep playing them one day the stars will align and I will make the final table and maybe even win one.  Even still I think that I could use some training on how to adjust my game for MTTs.  Up to this point I haven't kept track on how much I have spent on entries into tournaments but I am curious on where my bankroll would be if I never played any.  From now on I am going to keep track to determine whether I should be playing them at all and will have to stop if it is having a negative effect on my bankroll.


Started  =  $93.69

                +  19.26

Total    =  $112.95

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home